- All terrestrial life and limb shall be consumed by fire during a planetary alignment in December of CE 2012.
- The fire will be followed by a great flood when the same planets are conjoined in Capricorn.
- The seer Berosus reportedly used his knowledge of history and astronomy to predict the end of the world: “I Berosus, interpreter of Bellus, affirm that all the earth inherits will be consigned to flame when the five planets assemble in Cancer, so arranged in one row that a straight line may pass through their spheres.
- Berosus prediction that the conjunction of planets in Cancer and Capricorn would result in catastrophes is obviously more astrological than astronomical. But his followers point to scientific studies about the effects of Jupiter on the sun to support this far-fetched claim.
- According to adherents of Berosus’ prophecy, increased sunspot activity caused by Jupiter has triggered earthquakes, and a conjunction of five planets on May 5, 2000 will have profound gravitational effects. Adherents say Neptune, Uranus, Venus, Mercury and Mars will align with the earth on the other side of the sun.
- Skeptical astronomers may argue that adherents of astrology have spent too much time in the sun.